To promote the professional recognition of early childhood educators in Nova Scotia, and to provide support and resources for excellence in professional practice.
The Association of Early Childhood Educators of Nova Scotia (AECENS) is a non-profit membership-based professional association by and for all early childhood educators (ECEs) in the province. We believe that ECEs are the key ingredient in delivering quality early childhood education and child care.
AECENS is the voice for credibility and professional recognition for the early childhood education sector in Nova Scotia.
- To promote public awareness and recognition that ECEs are the key ingredient in delivering quality early childhood education and child care
- To support the professional practice of ECEs through education, professional development, and ethical and best practice standards
- To provide a safe place for ECEs to belong, network, and support each other
- To represent and advocate for members so they can provide quality early childhood education and child care
- To empower ECEs to advocate for and value themselves
- To be a united voice for the advancement of all ECE professionals
OUR ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE
AECENS is governed by a Board of Directors elected by its membership. Board members are representative of ECEs in Nova Scotia. AECENS has been incorporated since 2003. In 2019, our name changed from Nova Scotia Child Care Association (NSCCA) to Association of Early Childhood Educators of Nova Scotia (AECENS).
AECENS is located in Mi’kma’ki, the unceded territory and ancestral homeland of the Mi’kmaq Nation. Our relationship is based on a series of Peace and Friendship treaties between the Mi’kmaq Nation and the Crown, dating back to 1725. AECENS recognizes that We Are All Treaty People.